Provincial Business programs: Quebec
To be eligible for this program, you must:
• have net assets of at least C$300,000 that have been legally obtained
• have at least two years’ experience in running a business acquired during the five years preceding the date you submitted your application in a lawful and profitable business (agricultural, industrial or commercial) that you manage, alone or with your accompanying spouse or common-law spouse, controlling at least 25% of the capital equity.
• Experience in running a business is here defined as the actual and full-time assuming of the responsibilities and duties related to the planning, management and control of material, financial and human resources, provided that such responsibilities and duties are not assumed in the context of an apprenticeship, training or specialization process attested to by a diploma.
• Full time means that the person devoted all of their working time to management during the period in question.
The following factors will affect the assessment of your application:
• your age
• the nature and duration of your training
• your language skills
• your personal qualities and your knowledge of Québec.
• depending on the program component selected, the steps taken to acquire a business in Québec or your ability to carry out a business project will be the key element in your assessment.
In addition, upon your arrival in Québec, you must comply, for at least one year during the three years after obtaining permanent resident status, with the following conditions:
• create or acquire, in whole or in part, an agricultural, commercial or industrial business established in Québec where you hold at least 25% of the capital equity with a value of at least C$100,000 and which will employ, on a permanent basis and for a minimum of 30 hours a week, a Québec resident other than yourself and accompanying family members. The agricultural entrepreneur is immune from the obligation to create or maintain full-time employment;
• participate in the daily management and operations of the business.